- 1 Current Affairs Today 30 January 2017
- 2 Today Current Affairs – National
- 2.1 Telangana government signs MoU with French Aero campus Aquitaine
- 2.2 Current Affairs Updates and Highlights – International News
- 2.3 Current Affairs Today 30 January 2017 – Business and Economy
- 2.4 30 Jan 2017 Today’s Current Affairs – Science and Education
Current Affairs Today 30 January 2017
Check latest New updates every day, Current Affairs Today 30 January 2017
Today Current Affairs – National
- Remember Ambedkar & install BHIM app in your phone: PM Modi
- Amazon expands grocery delivery service to 14 Indian cities
- Union Minister Athawale bats for reservation to all economically weaker section people
- IMD plans weather stations in 660 district
- We’ll shift to Jan Dhan, Aadhaar, Mobile in 2-3 yrs: Naidu
- Kolkata’s Chinatown celebrates Chinese New Year
- IITs world’s 4th largest producer of billion-dollar startups
- Govt inaugurates North East Film Festival in Pune
- Section 144 imposed on Marina Beach till Feb 12
Telangana government signs MoU with French Aero campus Aquitaine
- The Telangana government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with French Aero campus Aquitaine to set up a world-class aero skills academy in the city in collaboration with academia and industry.
- This partnership focuses on developing skills among youth as well as experienced professionals in tune with the latest trends in the industry.
India Post gets payments bank licence to start services
- India Post has received payments bank licence from the Reserve Bank of India to start rollout of banking operations commercially under the permit.
- “India Post has received payments bank licence. The service will be launched as per schedule,” a Department of Posts official said. India Post Payments Bank is the third entity to receive payments bank permit after Bharti Airtel and Paytm.
- The new model of banking allows mobile firms, supermarket chains and others to cater to banking requirements of individuals and small businesses.
- Payments banks can accept deposits up to Rs1 lakh per account from individuals and small businesses.
Current Affairs Updates and Highlights – International News
- Germany’s Merkel, Trump agree on importance of NATO in call
- FARC rebels, Colombia govt to fight cocaine cultivation
- Barack Obama may get Rs.136-crore advance for his memoir
- Google removed 80 million ads for ‘shocking’ users in 2016
- Japan Airlines allows dogs in main cabin
Current Affairs Today 30 January 2017 – Business and Economy
- US’ 2nd largest startup Airbnb posts profit for first time
- Cellular operators ask TRAI to stop BSNL’s app-based service
GAAR will be effective April 1, 2017
- Addressing investors’ concerns ahead of GAAR implementation from April 1, the tax department said it will not interplay with their right to choose a method of transaction and won’t apply if routing of funds through a jurisdiction is “based on non-tax commercial considerations”.
- The General Anti-Avoidance Rules (GAAR), which seek to prevent companies from routing transactions through other countries to avoid taxes, can be invoked through a two-stage process involving a nod at the level of principal commissioner of income tax and a panel headed by a high court judge.
- Seeking to assuage concerns of investors, CBDT said GAAR provisions shall be effective from the assessment year 2018-19 onwards and “shall not be invoked merely on the ground that the entity is located in a tax efficient juridiction.
30 Jan 2017 Today’s Current Affairs – Science and Education
Founder of Indian supercomputing Dr Bhatkar appointed new VC Nalanda University
- Vijay Pandurang Bhatkar, a technocrat who is considered the father of the Indian Supercomputer, has been appointed the new Vice-Chancellor of Nalanda University, Rajgir, in Bihar.
- He will hold the office for a three-year period from the date of his appointment as per the Nalanda University Act, Sec 11(3). Bhatkar, 70, replaces Gopa Sabharwal who resigned on November 24 last year, followed by the resignation of Chancellor George Yeo, after the dissolution of the Mentor Group which functioned as the governing body of the university.
Dr G N Rao inducted to Ophthalmology Hall of Fame
- Dr Gullapalli N Rao, Founder and Chair, L V Prasad Eye Institute, has been selected as one of two inductees for the prestigious 2017 Ophthalmology Hall of Fame instituted by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS).
- He would be honoured at the induction ceremony in Los Angeles on May six at the ASCRS annual meeting, according to an LVPEI statement.